The components of vaccines are a bit scary in and of themselves, particularly when you realize they are going into 7 lb. infants, or 18 lb. toddlers. I am just not anti-vaccination. Neither am I pro-vaccination. I’ve been checking out this problem for fifteen years. I’ve talked with parents that are certain that a vaccination caused their children’s autism. I’ve also talked with pros who are equally certain that vaccinations do not cause autism or any other developmental disorder.
So, let’s just get started with something basic. What exactly is in a vaccination?
1) Antigens: The infectious agent is the primary constituent of each vaccine. Such as antigens including hepatitis B, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus (DTP), haemophilus influenzae B (Hib), inactivated polio virus (IPV), and pneumococcal antigen (one cause of pneumonia).
2) Aluminum: This really is employed to increase the antigenic response by trapping the antigen and causing a slow release of it. Aluminum inside the blood is associated to allergy, motor paralysis, local numbness, fatty degeneration of kidneys and liver, learning disabilities, dementia, and seizures.
3) Formaldehyde: This really is used to inactivate the bacterial and viral antigens. Exposure to formaldehyde is assigned to cancer, vertigo, coma, and death. There is no known threshold level below which there is not just a threat of cancer.
4) Thimerosal: Also called merthiolate, thimerosal hails from mercury and has been utilized being a preservative and disinfectant in vaccines. Mercury is among the most potent neurotoxins proven to humans. In July 1999, the FDA requested that manufacturers of vaccines remove thimerosal from United states licensed vaccines. This occurred after it was said that cumulative exposure of infants to mercury during the first 6 months of life exceeded EPA guidelines. Thimersol is still utilized in flu vaccines and then in vaccines distributed in other countries. Recent scientific studies are showing that thimerosal is much more prevalent in vaccines now than it absolutely was in 1999!
5) Other Components: These include phenol which is used in the extraction procedure for making vaccines and is also a very toxic substance produced from coal tar that may cause shock, convulsions, cardiac failure, kidney failure, and death. Ethanol, methanol, isopropyl and two phenoxyethanol are alcohols which can be used as antiseptics to hinder the development and reproduction of microorganisms in vaccines. And then there are the unwanted or unknown components that only occur during the process. It is particularly challenging to establish reasons for side effects due to these unknown substances.
So, what are we to make of this? I’m uncertain. Will it mean vaccines are unsafe? I don’t know. Are these substances I would knowingly inject into my very own children’s bloodstreams? No — not without some solid, compelling evidence that it would be to their benefit.
Vaccine proponents repeat the proof benefit is apparent. Vaccine opponents repeat the proof benefit is significantly from clear which the science behind vaccinations is quite shabby. Before making a determination, weigh the sumlds carefully. On the pro side of vaccinations, go to the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov). For that con side of vaccinations, go to the National Vaccine Information Center (nvic.org).